The GOOD, The BAD & The MISCHIEF.

My adventures & misadventures in parenting & life.

Sunday 2 December 2007

Protecting Against Sexual Harassment.




Motivated by the fear of harassment claims, many companies now prohibit men and women from meeting one-on-one inside of offices or conference rooms that do not have a window to an outside hallway or area where others can see into the room. What do you think about that? Good move because it protects everyone involved, or an unwarranted overreaction driven by nothing more than overreaching morals and fear?

I have felt uncomfortable in a windowless room with the door closed at times, even when I considered myself to be safe.
I think it is due to the many examples of sexual harassment that have been publicised or made into films.

Companies also have to protect themselves not only from the opportunity a closed door and windowless room provides but also from the possibility of being taken to court and sued for compensation.
We do live in a time when thousands of pounds compensation can be awarded for harassment for the use of inappropriate words much more would be awarded for physical touching.

It is a good idea from not only a financial viewpoint but also from an employee and staff safety and comfort viewpoint.

5 people have experienced mischief:

Maude Lynn said...

When I was teaching, I always tried to make sure to keep the door open when I met with students. Just to be safe . . .

Anonymous said...

I see your point; I do agree that everyone should have the option of being in a situation that makes them feel safe and comfortable.

On the other hand, I just don't think forcing people into a certain situation should be company policy.

Andi said...

I think that the point is that the company is protecting you from being forced into certain situations.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my Blog Talkers post :).

I think part of my opposition to this policy might just stem from the fact that the companies I used to work with were very lax in most regulations. Which, overall, may or may not have been a good thing for all of the employees...

Susan Demeter said...

Agreed! I'm up too now. If you have a moment please do stop by.