The GOOD, The BAD & The MISCHIEF.

My adventures & misadventures in parenting & life.

Monday 3 September 2007

gwp Motherhood Is/Means...

Motherhood means different things to different people it can be a life-long dream or a living nightmare to some. It has the highest of highs & at times the lowest of lows but it is something most of us would never want to be without.

Motherhood requires the "mom" to be exceptional at a wide ranging variety of jobs including:

* Teacher * Friend * Alarm Clock
* Chauffeur * Dresser * Butler
* Cleaner * Cook * Agony Aunt
* Translator * Nutritionist * Cheerleader
* Diplomat * Personal Shopper * Hairdresser
* Security Guard * Body Guard * Pack Horse
* Secretary

What other non-paying job has so many responsibilities or such wide ranging skills needed?
Just one year of motherhood makes us experienced enough to work in any industry & get time off!

While we gain experience in many fields we lose a lot as well but what we lose is swallowed up by the things we gain & in the end just don't matter to us that much if at all.
We as mothers lose:

* Sleep * Nights Out * Flat tummy's
* Money * Tidy homes * Upright Boobs
* Self Identity - I'm now just M's Mummy.
* Watching grown-up tv when I want in silence
* Leaving the house on the spur of the moment
* Going anywhere without a huge, packed handbag

Mom's lose being able to be totally selfish & put themselves first. Mums lose the importance they felt for their wants, hopes & dreams & instead all wishes are poured into our kids. A mother lion will fight to the death for her kids & I know I would do that for mine without a second thought, even if Doctor House was on the tv!

I have gained so much by becoming a mum, it has changed my life in every way & all of the changes are for the better.
I have gained a little person, who is half of me, who amazes me every day with his sillyness & intelligence. Someone I would give up everything for without a seconds thought. Someone who means more to me than anything, someone who says "I love you mummy" & makes rainbows & tweeting birds appear & makes my heart melt. A persons whose tears can break my heart & can make me want to kill the cause of those tears even if that cause is another 3 year old.
I am able to see the world through brand, new eyes & see the wonder & amazement at things I now take for granted like fireworks or baby ducks swimming in a line.
I get cuddles that mean more than anything in the world & fill me with happyness.

I'm happy being a mum & I am so glad / lucky to be a mum because there is nothing to beat this & while the journey may be bumpy at times I sure as hell don't want to get off.

8 people have experienced mischief:

Anonymous said...

Moms / Mums (as you say) are the HARDEST working UNDERPAID and UNDER APPRECIATED people on the planet!!

Anonymous said...

Your post does a great job of highlighting the entire wide ranging experience that is motherhood!

Thanks for participating!

Maude Lynn said...

Oh, I can remember the first time that I saw another three year old hurt my child's feelings!

This is a wonderful post!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I totally relate to your post!

Anonymous said...

What would you be doing if you weren't a mom? Can you imagine an alternate reality?

Anonymous said...

This is such a lovely post - it just put a smile in my heart!

Ursula said...

You're so right! My dh still doesn't understand why I don't clean until ds is fast asleep!!!

Thanks for sharing-your post made me laugh (as I avoid cleaning)!

Anonymous said...

Mothers really have to be multi-talented! It's the best job in the world, even if there is no paycheck!